Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Photo Display

This past summer there were a lot of family photos taken and I wanted to do something unique to display them. I saw a picture on Pinterest of this frame:
And I thought to myself, "I can totally make that!"

I asked my wonderful husband for a jigsaw and a gift card to Home Depot for Christmas and he came through. I bought some bead board (7-36"x7" sheets for around $12) and some sample paints, which were fifty cents each. And I went to the dollar store and got some 4X6 frames for the glass. 

It just happened to work out that if I cut one sheet of bead board in half they would be the perfect length.  Because the boards were seven inches wide I left them at that width and cut a length of 5" so I ended up with a 5x7.


I mixed some varnish with the paint to give it a distressed look. I figured out it is easiest to pour as much varnish as you need and then add enough paint to make the color you want.

The final step was to line all the pieces up and nail them together. I just put four nails through the wood to hold it together and made the nails far enough apart that I could just slide the glass under the heads of the nails.
And here are what the frames look like up close.

Originally I was going to put these on my matle but they just weren't the right size for it. Instead I added some ribbon to the back of the frames and attached them to a dowel. Then I covered the dowel in some floral picks I got at Michael's. And here is the finished product.







No comments:

Post a Comment